Bloggingmyproclivities

Bloggingmyproclivities

Tuesday 17 April 2012

This Dating Life

After being rejected by Mr Wrong Stage of Life I went out with the Friday Night Drinks Group in town and caught up with some friends. (In comparison to men - or maybe just the men I go out with - friends are so much better.) I quickly had two drinks and was on my way to being tipsy - that would account for the fact that I posed for several group shot photos.

When not quite as inebriated I hate my photo being taken and I dislike the fact that the photos invariably end up on someone's Facebook page. In this case they ended up on the internet on a public page for the Friday Night Drinks Group- there's something about having my photo displayed for all to see that I really dislike. It's hard to say why except for something vague like, it's a privacy thing, but there you have it. I contacted the person who took the photo and she was happy to take it down, so that's fine. However, I think I will just have to avoid having my photo taken at these things.

I had a lovely time chatting to various people, avoiding my mate who has continued to appear at various social activities I go to (and even recently joined the damn Friday Night Drinks group) and monopolise my attention, and was pleased to see some new faces. OK, I'll 'fess up. When I say "new faces" I actually mean men, of course. There were some new women there and I did talk to them too but it's fun when the men come and chat to you. 

Like the guy waiting at the bar with me; he was interesting, but in the end he appeared to be quite taken with one of my girlfriends. Bummer. Still, I'm a big fan of my girlfriend and if she should end up with a new bloke I'd be quite pleased. So I left them alone and chatted to others. Then as I was casting around for someone else to speak to a nice looking guy smiled at me. I hadn't wanted to bust into the group in case the women with him were annoyed, but he smiled, so I figured it was all OK.

To cut a long story short - because apparently I am incapable of posting anything in a nice short to medium word range - we went for a coffee, and then had a lunch date a few days later. It was a pleasant date but I'm just not that 'into him,' as they say. I turned up in casual linen pants and a nice top, some wedges etc he was wearing board shorts and a shirt. (A strange combination.) I felt over dressed. 

A nice guy and interesting but he's into all these outdoor activities that I shy away from: camping? No thanks. Surfing? I might like to try. Snowboarding? Never been. And he loves the-thrill-of-things activities like bungy jumping, wants to try heliboarding etc. Apparently that's where a helicopter drops you off the beaten track somewhere and you get your snowboard and find your own way home. I'm not sure what that leaves for us to have in common. 

So, feeling a little disillusioned I later got back on-line and felt even more disillusioned. The men near my age, or a couple of years older have all of a sudden aged drastically. 

I'm feeling, again, that maybe I should lower my expectations, and yet when I do that I get bored after the 2nd date and don't want to see them again. The whole dating scene is tiring and frustrating; if it wasn't for the fact that I really enjoyed dating someone for a couple of months I'd just give up completely. Actually I hid my profile again while I tried to muster up some more enthusiasm for the whole thing. 

How disappointing that I'm still blogging about this stuff. Sigh. Hawaii 5-O is still on TV maybe I'll just go back to ogling Steve.

Stella x

6 comments:

  1. I think you'll find someone. I wish I could tell you how or when, but I believe it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed - and heliboarding sounds terrifying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. NQ- ta. Just disheartening. Meanwhile I have a friend who did on-line dating and met someone within 2 weeks. . and they're still going strong.
    Amy- also thanks. Am starting to think it is me not them but I guess I can't change too much. . . I am sort of fussy.
    It's nice of both of you to comment- I thought no one would read that posting.
    Stella x

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I don't read something, it's probably because I'm not reading anything. When I'm reading stuff, I read you too :)

    Re the friend, is she anything like you? I rarely like the men friends pick for themselves, so there's likely no loss there for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NQ- the friend, ah, probably not so much like me. I suspect I wouldn't go for her bloke, and I haven't even met him, so I know what you mean. I'm just perplexed it was so quick n' easy for her.
    Then again I have another lovely friend who has been single for quite a while now, and I almost understand why. She's quite a catch: intelligent, out-going, fun, attractive- I'm sure she'd need quite an exceptional man to hold her interest.
    Actually, now I think about it I have several friends who are in the same boat as me and just can't find 'the one'. And I'm glad they're not settling for a close facsimile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're not settling for a close facsimile either :)

    ReplyDelete