Bloggingmyproclivities

Bloggingmyproclivities

Tuesday 27 December 2011

Old, scared dog

When my 13 year old Rough-Tough-Scaredy-Ridgeback X, Emma, gets scared by thunder or a noise on the dog-hearing spectrum she takes sanctuary in my room. 

It's nice to think I can provide comfort. When my husband was alive they'd all run to him; men obviously have superior protection skills that I couldn't offer so it's nice that I still "rate" at as it were. 

(Tell me those eyes aren't old soul eyes.)
If you were to look too closely you'd notice the bed curtain is a little less than clean due to her penchant for coming in and leaning up against the bed. She's not allowed on the bed though. And the bedspread also requires frequent laundering, but I don't care. That's the price you pay for love and companionship.

What will I do when she's gone? Will a hamster provide me with as much comfort, or make me feel as safe in my own home?

And the carpet doesn't bear thinking about- it did extra time yesterday during the hours of thunder we endured.

5 comments:

  1. Everything looks sparkling white to me!

    - Great doggy eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! I don't think you have to worry, it doesn't look like Emma's going anywhere anytime soon...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NQ- I took the doona cover off and washed it yesterday, and shuddered. Emma's always had lovely doggy eyes.

    justmakingconvo- thanks! I have to be realistic though, she is 13, that's about her "end" age, and her little legs are all limpy and arthritic now. . .but she is lovely, lovely, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cutie pie! I don't like to think about what life will be like without my cats. That's why I've decided that we're all going to become vampires and live forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh, I know alonewithcats, maybe when she goes and I live in an apartment I'll have to become a cat person?

    ReplyDelete