Bloggingmyproclivities

Bloggingmyproclivities

Thursday 3 November 2011

Moving


Today I am having my house valued. I have developed a hankering to move closer to town and so have been going to OFIs (Open for Inspections) and lusting after some apartments, while dismissing others.

What astounds me is the price of some of these small apartments. My house is 35 km away from town, and is lovely and spacious. I have 3 bedrooms (only one really gets used), two bathrooms, lounge, dining, kitchen etc and the most amazing views out to the city. For the price of my house approximately 35km from town (but in a popular tourist area due to the National Parks surrounding me) I can get a considerably smaller one bedroom - if I’m lucky two bedroom - apartment about 10 km from town. No guarantee of a parking space either.

This doesn’t seem like a fair trade really but then I am needing a change and the attraction of living in the hills has diminished somewhat since becoming single again. It is convenient for work, which is five minutes away, but I miss the plethora of pubs, restaurants, bars and other cultural aspects of inner city living. Plus I am limited to Beginners or General yoga classes out here. The inner city teems with a variety of exciting yoga classes I’d like to sample.

Yes, I realize I could drive there. In fact, that’s what I do to go to Bikram which is a half hour drive. Then with the 90 minute class, driving to and from, and showering it’s a 3 hour commitment- minimum.

I’m just ready for a change.

Of course I cannot move the Ridgeback X into an apartment so I will be exploring my options but not changing just yet. 

6 comments:

  1. Tough choice. Your house sounds so perfect to me. I'd never leave! But if all your activities take place in the city and it's a 30 minute commute each way for each of them, that's certainly prohibitive. I hope you find something you like, wherever you live :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the house is excellent but it takes the best part of an HOUR to get into town. . .half an hour is just to Bikram, that I could live with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's a bit long for things that you want to do regularly. Maybe you can find a guy who lives in the city and then you can have TWO homes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NQ- do you think I could find a bloke who lives in the city? Really? Do you think I can find any sort of bloke? No, I don't think so. Exasperated today about blokes. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think finding a soulmate can be nerve wracking wherever you live.

    I also think if you found it before, you have a good chance of finding it again, though I'm not sure about the "how." :o/

    Sorry life and guys are being crappy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NQ- that's nice and positive. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete